Sunday, August 15, 2010

Tha ish: Days 5 – 7 of embracing my natural hair



Day 5 - August 13, 2010


I was actually pretty impressed with myself. I spent an hour cornrowing my hair last night and it came out very well. My mother even told me that it was WAY better than she expected. Big up to me!!


I wore my hair in an afro, but it wasn’t as cute as it was in the beginning of the week. It looked a little dry, but it was good enough to wear to the mall.


I bumped into an ex co-worker at the mall and she said that I looked like a kid with my new hairstyle. She said it looked nice (I don’t believe her!), but said that I should try to make it look softer and show my ringlet curls. I had to let her know that I was rocking my real hair and that my real hair doesn’t look like ringlet curls. I was a little annoyed by her statement, but realized she’s kinda ignorant about my hair texture, so I didn't dwell on it.


BTW I finally updated my facebook pic and showed off my afro. I was relieved and overwhelmed to get such a positive response. Thanks!


Day 6 - August 14, 2010


No major hair issues happened.


Day 7  August 15, 2010


I decided a couple of days ago that the next style that I was going to rock was twists (twisting my own hair, without extensions). I decided on twists because of its low maintenance. The afro was cool, but it took a lot of work for it to look cool.


I asked my mother a few days ago to twist my hair and she agreed to do it today. I was kinda shocked because my mom twisted my hair 2 whole years ago, and ungratefully I told her that I didn’t like the style on me as soon as she was done (possibly because I missed my extensions!). I subsequently took out the twists and ran straight to the hair salon one day later. My mother swore she’d never twist my hair again. Thankfully, my mother disregarded that, and patiently and lovingly twisted my hair today. Thanks, mommy!


It’s a shorter ‘do than I’m used to, but it looks nice. I have to get used to it. Don’t worry, I have no plans on untwisting it any time soon!

No comments: