Saturday, January 30, 2010

Tha ish: Monica: Still Standing

 

I don’t watch that much prime-time television, however, I am hooked on late night talk shows.  (sidebar:  I think that Conan was royally screwed by NBC.  True, he was nervous and jittery in the beginning, but he needed time to get comfortable with his new job.  I hated Jimmy Fallon’s show in the beginning, but now I can’t miss it.)

Besides getting my daily late-night fix on, there’s a show that I am currently loving.  I looove Monica’s reality show, Still Standing.  Most celeb reality shows are pure crap (ahem, all reality shows!), but I like how Monica’s show walks the viewer through the creation of her album.  We are privy to the behind-the-scenes view on the birth of an album and her struggle as an artist.  In a few episodes we were able to see how Monica questioned how she would grow as an artist but still be true to herself.

I appreciate how her show is not an embarrassment like past reality television.  If you saw Keyshia Cole’s show (The Way It Is), you know what I mean.  The show had less to do with her music and spent way too much airtime on her dysfunctional family. (psst...I have no problems with having a dysfunctional family, but her family’s issues should not have aired on television. They need counselling.  Especially Frankie!)

I like how we get to see a very sensitive and vulnerable Monica. Sometimes we forget that artists are people too, and they aren’t as in control and confident as we think. I think it’s refreshing to see her being real.

I just wanted to say that I love the show and looking forward to the album.

No comments: