Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tha ish: Year in review 2010

I love the end of the year because I unashamedly embrace my opinionated nature (I am a Taurus after all!) and proudly share with you a few picks for the best and worst ish of the year. Check it out!


ARTIST OF THE YEAR


Drake
Was there any doubt? Honestly, even if you don’t like Drake, you got to admit that the brotha worked hard this year! He seriously got his grind on. He released an inordinate amount of music, guested on tons of other artists’ songs, and made me change my mind (yep, I originally didn’t like him). He deserves all the accolades that he receives.


Honourable Mention


Usher, Trey Songz and Lady Gaga. Each artist released tons of music, toured, and remained relevant for the entire year. A feat that is sometimes difficult to achieve.


FAVE NEW ARTIST


Melanie Fiona
She’s soulful, humble and budding songstress. I am proud of this T.Dot native.


WORST SONG OF THE YEAR


Love The Way You Lie, Eminem f/Rihanna
I like Rihanna and I like Eminem, but this song resulted in disaster. The hook was the best part of the song, but still, even that couldn’t change my mind. I hate this song!!


Honourable Mention


The Time (Dirty Bit), The Black Eyed Peas
I am probably the only female alive that HATES the movie Dirty Dancing (sorry! It’s way too cheesy!). However, The Black Eyed Peas rendition/remix of the song that is very much associated with the movie (I’ve Had the Time of My Life), is blasphemous. What possessed them to touch this song? It’s just wrong!


DUMBASS OF THE YEAR


T.I.
I actually like T.I. , but I don’t understand how he could do a stint in jail, and wind up back in the slammer just a few months after being granted his freedom. Yo T.I., you need better people in your life!


FAVOURITE VIDEO


Telephone, Lady Gaga, f/Beyonce
This video gives me everything I like in a video—cool storyline (okay, weird storyline), outrageous dance sequences, and bad acting. Loves it!


WORST VIDEO


Runaway, Kanye West
Perhaps I’m not the most cultured person (nope, that ain’t it!), but I did not like this video. I like artsy films, but Kanye’s mini-movie bored me. I sat through all 37 minutes; however my mind started to wander after the first two minutes. I did promise myself to watch it again to give it a fair shake, but damn it, I’m not sure if I can do that.


BLOG OF THE YEAR (tie)


CurlyNikki.com and theybf.com
I must, must, must visit these sites on a daily basis.
CurlyNikki.com is a blog devoted to natural hair; actually it’s more of a resource for women who want to learn more about how to have healthy natural hair. Believe me, it was INCREDIBLY helpful when I went completely natural (no extensions!) for 3 weeks. I am obsessed with this website.


The ybf (The Young, Black and Fabulous) is the brainchild of Natasha Eubanks. She dispenses juicy gossip and news from an exceptionally hilarious point of view.


Okay, so those were a few things that I liked about 2010. Howeeeeever....I couldn’t comment on 2010 without sharing with you my fave songs of the year. These are the songs that I loved, obsessed over and played repeatedly. Check ‘em out. They are in no particular order.


1. Find Your Love- Drake


2. OMG- Usher f/will.i.am


3. Teenage Dream- Katy Perry


4. Grenade- Bruno Mars


5. Window Seat- Erykah Badu


6. Deuces- Chris Brown


7. Girl in the World- Rihanna


8. Aston Martin Music- Rick Ross f/ Chrisette Michele and Drake


9. Unthinkable- Alicia Keys


10. Monday Morning and It Kills Me- both from Melanie Fiona

Have a happy and healthy New Year!CurlyNikki.com

No comments: